Rice Cantaloupe Yogurt Breakfast Bowl

by Helene Dsouza on January 26, 2014

Yes, you are reading right, rice for breakfast! This is for sure a new concept for some of us and then too a good one. I got the idea from my sister. She came across this once online and she was making jokes about having rice for breakfast. I wish we could remember where we found the recipe. Anyway, it was more something like a rice pudding cooked with milk. One fine day, I got the idea to make it easier, so to say cut down on the preparation and cooking time without destroying the flavors in this manner and that’s when I tried rice with yogurt instead of milk. I tell you it was brilliant! At first I had it plain with sugar but then I tried the rice “porridge” with different fruits. That’s when the rice cantaloupe yogurt breakfast bowl was born!

Rice Cantaloupe Yogurt Breakfast Bowl masalaherb.com

These days I often end up with plain rice left overs and I have a stupid habit of not adding salt while I boil rice. Believe me or not, my husband hates when I forget the salt, I actually don’t mind it and after all it proofed to be useful. You see, when making this rice cantaloupe yogurt breakfast bowl, you could actually cut down on some of your precious time and use plain left over rice without salt. Bonus, you are using a leftover and turning it into a healthy and delicious breakfast treat which in turn can only be good, right?

Also, you could make or mix the ingredients the night before and keep it over night in the fridge so that the flavors get well incorporated. I like a breakfast that is waiting for me when I get up in the morning, don’t you? No hassle and super simple! You could use whole grain rice or a healthier rice variation for this recipe. This time I went for a rice type, which is suppose to be from Kerala (South India) and it’s a whole grain variation. I am not sure because vendors can say anything at times since the rice is not prepacked and labeled. Anyway, the rice is good or I wouldn’t have used it for this purpose. I think round corn rice would work as well.

Rice Cantaloupe Yogurt Breakfast Bowl masalaherb.com

I will let you be creative with the choice of rice and also with the fruits you choose. Basically I enjoy this breakfast bowl the most with cantaloupe melon or peach. However you could also use blueberries, strawberries or how about chikoos? Anything that you fancy or whatever fruit you have waiting in your fridge. As sweetener I would suggest simply honey because it’s healthier and honey brings harmony to the breakfast bowl but also palm sugar works well or any other basic sugar. I did add some lime juice but that’s optional, I just like the flavor of lime with juicy cantaloupe fruit bites. Oh and you could also reduce the yogurt amount a bit if you feel it’s too soaking. That’s the way I like it and obviously it’s tasty or it wouldn’t be published here.

Rice Cantaloupe Yogurt Breakfast Bowl

Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 1-2 bowls
Prep time:

Simple, quick and very delicious rice cantaloupe yogurt breakfast bowl. This one will be waiting for you in the morning!
  • 100 grams boiled cooled Rice (preferably whole grain rice and has to be unsalted)
  • 100 grams Yogurt
  • 4 Tablespoons Honey
  • ½ Cantaloupe Melon (100 grams)
  • 2 dozen Almonds (50 grams)
  • 1 Tablespoon Lime/Lemon Juice (optional)
  1. Pour the yogurt over the boiled but cooled rice. Rice Cantaloupe Yogurt Breakfast Bowl masalaherb.com
  2. Add the Honey, small pieces of cut cantaloupe melon, almonds (either peeled,whole or roughly chopped) and lime juice. Mix the whole content well. Rice Cantaloupe Yogurt Breakfast Bowl masalaherb.com
  3. Make this the night before to save time in the morning!

Have you ever had or even thought of rice for breakfast?

Share on Facebook7Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Google+28Pin on Pinterest106Share on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pageEmail this to someone

Angie@Angie's Recipes

I grew up eating rice congee for the breakfast, but usually plain or savoury one. Love this creative recipe with yogurt and melon.
Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Rutabaga Radicchio Salad with Silken Tofu DressingMy Profile

Wow, what a nifty breakfast. I’ve never done anything like this. My leftover rice always ends up in soup or fried rice. (or fed to the worms!)
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Roast Suckling Pig Cooked in a Pizza OvenMy Profile

Ramona

I love rice for breakfast… but I tend to go savory and not sweet and creamy. This is a new idea for me to try. :)
Ramona recently posted..Curry and Comfort’s Weekly Sunday Summary 1/20/14 thru 1/26/14My Profile

Anita Menon

So good to be back in your space. And I am so happy to find such an interesting recipe. Overnight yogurt soaked rice is a brilliant idea for a carb rich meal in the morning. The Kerala round/fat rice is indeed better than the basmati one. It is healthier especially if unpolished. I make gruel for my daughter with this rice and she loves it.

John@Kitchen Riffs

I usually don’t add salt either when I make rice. Easy enough to add at table! Although it does taste better when made with salt. Anyway, lovely recipe. I’ve had rice for breakfast before, but I’ll bet it’s been only a handful of times. Love the idea of it, particularly this dish. Good stuff –thanks.
John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..Meat and Potatoes ChiliMy Profile

wok with ray

Simple, lite and with all the “good for you” ingredients. Thank you, Helene and have a good week! :)
wok with ray recently posted..Mango SalsaMy Profile

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

Growing up, my mom used to make “kiribath” a SriLankan solid rice pudding for breakfast . Helene – this rice bowl sounds so healthy and refreshing compared to what I sued to eat.
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Tofu Hash with Sundried TomatoesMy Profile

Choc Chip Uru

Such a delicious breakfast bowl idea my friend! :D
I adore sweetened rice!

CCU
Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Australia Day 2014!!!My Profile

this would definitely prepare anyone for a great day if you ate it for breakfast! It looks sweet and filling

Eva Taylor

This recipe reminds me of what my dear Mom used to do with left over rice, she always made rice pudding! This recipe would be like eating dessert for breakfast!
Eva Taylor recently posted..Vadas Marhahus; Hungarian Wild Meat revisitedMy Profile

Gintare @Gourmantine

I’ve never had rice breakfast… Actually, it’s only been a year that I’ve got to love a steaming bowl of oats, but rice prepared this way, sounds incredible too :)

Traditionally Japanese eat rice for breakfast too, but recently bread and cereals are more common. Rice gives comforting and it’s a great start. However I had never tried rice with yogurt or fruits! VERY interesting combination. I love learning new ways to eat the same thing!
Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Shio Koji Karaage Bento 塩麹唐揚げ弁当My Profile

Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania

Oh, this looks like the right recipe to save for the summers! I love cantaloupe and eating rice in breakfast is a common thing in Bengali households till today. This looks like my “new” comfort food!
Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania recently posted..Sweet Potato Chaat with Mulberry-Chocolate DressingMy Profile

minnie@thelady8home

Awww…..I love how sweet you are in your discovery. Though were to travel east, you would find that rice in breakfast is the most common of all breakfast, we even cook them hot and serve them, lol! I remember my Dida would cook a large pot of hot rice and then plop a dollop of ghee, boiled eggs and sometimes boiled dal. My Ma would cook that sometimes in the morning when we had long school hours with extra classes. But my fav always has been rice, milk and mangoes or bananas….yummmm! Never tried cantaloupes though, could be because never liked them much when I was young, though now I adore them. You made me so so nostalgic! I think I am going to have some rice for breakfast tomorrow!
minnie@thelady8home recently posted..How to crack Quail eggs the easy wayMy Profile

I love rice pudding and for breakfast is just divine with coolness and freshness of crisp cantaloupe :)
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Chila {Savory Indian Crepes}My Profile