When I am tired after working on physically draining activities, I quickly cook up this creamy ham capsicum pasta sauce with cheese. To replenish my energy level, I will need: A. a heavier dish and B. something really quick or I will just eat a spicy cream cheese spread on a slice of bread. Since we prefer proper home cooked meals, this kind of quick and easy pasta sauce recipe can save the day and satisfy my food cravings. Otherwise you will see me going berserk and let me tell you, it’s not a pretty sight.
You on the other hand might throw in: “But why don’t you go and get some fast food from outside?” Well, good point… yes I could but I am currently not very satisfied with the food served in restaurants here. Most of the restaurants in Goa are still closed and they will only open in a months time, including ours, so that’s not an option. Honestly I love cooking just so that I can eat it. I crave certain flavors and I know I won’t be able to get a dish here that includes ham, capsicum and cheese in a pasta sauce, except if I get up and spend 20 minutes to cook this up. 20 minutes is well worth the time, don’t you think?
Fresh food is a must in our house. Every once in a blue moon I would get one of those “new” makhani dal microwave pouches and that’s one of the few times we would eat processed food at home. Ok, the pasta is rarely homemade as well, I usually buy pasta, so that counts as processed too. Otherwise we don’t have much choice here anyway with processed foods and everybody cooks from scratch so I am not tempted to change my cooking habits soon. I will tell you one thing, there is nothing better then eating almost every day from scratch food with fresh ingredients! I understand that we are all out of time so of course cutting down on time in the kitchen has turned into a a daily requirement.
Well, the creamy ham capsicum pasta sauce will serve you well and therefore I am sharing the recipe today. I hope you will treasure this creamy ham capsicum pasta sauce as much as we do here. It saved my day countless times.
- Pasta (I use Fettuccine for this sauce)
- 1 big Onion
- 3 Tablespoon small sliced Capsicum
- 3 Tablespoon small sliced Ham
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoons Flour
- 300 milliliter Milk
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- 50 grams Cheese (I use a mild cheddar)
- few cashew nuts for garnish
- Start by keeping a pot with water to boil. Once the water is boiling add the pasta and cook according to packet instructions. Once cooked strain and keep aside until serving time.
- While the pasta cooks, chop off the ends of your onion and discard the ends with the onion skin. Chop your onion small. Rinse your capsicum and discard the seeds and cut into small slices. Also cut the ham into small slices.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of Olive oil to a sauce pan and fry the onion translucent. Add the ham and stir fry for 3 minutes or until the ham is getting a bit crisp.
- Add the capsicum and fry them soft for 2-3 minutes.
- To build up the creamy sauce, take the pot from the heat and add the flour. Take back to low heat and whisk well with the vegetables so that no lumps are left alone.
- Quickly pour in the milk and continue to whisk non stop until the sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper. Once the sauce has thickened add the grated Cheese and mix the whole content well.
- Serve the sauce hot over the pasta and top with chopped cashew nuts.
More Pasta Sauce Recipes
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Gluten-free Cinnamon Star Cookies #ChristmasWeek - December 9, 2013
- Easy Butter Chicken Recipe – Murgh Makhani - December 6, 2013
- Homemade Coconut Milk – How to make Coconut milk from scratch - December 3, 2013