11 Recipes for a Cold

by Helene Dsouza on July 7, 2013

Last week was Sao Joao here in Goa – The catholic feast in honor of the saint John the Baptist. Villagers celebrate by jumping into the sea, rivers, pools and wells and on top of that it must be raining as well otherwise it’s not a real Sao Joao! Anyway, the monsoon season here in Goa, India has turned out earlier this year and it has been quite strong, so we didn’t have to worry if it would rain this year for Sao Joao.  In the following days after Sao Joao I could hear the first coughs around me at the post office and shops. That is how the cold started and now I am sitting here wiping my nose. I know, the picture is not very appetizing, god da** it,  this is a Food Blog!

Ginger Lemon Honey Tea masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

You are right! Guess what the good food stuff isn’t far. Before I was attacked by the vicious cold symptoms, I had been “treating” my husband who was croaking like a poor hurt raven. I was cooking and cooking and cooking and cooking. Guess what, it helped and he is jumping around, filled with energy and power once again. Of course if his condition would have turned out worse, we would have visited the doctor but luckily we didn’t have too and my homemade “remedies” or let’s say recipes worked out just fine. So how did I do it?

I have a few basic recipes that are my “when I am getting a cold recipe”. They are simple and easy to recreate, keeping in mind that we all are like babies when the common cold hits us. Those recipes for a cold have healing and or nurturing benefits and they have been used by our ancestors the same way before.

So next time if you are facing the first cold symptoms, start with the recipes listed underneath and soon you will be over the mend, as simple as that!

Warm Ginger Lemon Honey Tea

Ginger Lemon Honey Tea masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

Lemon is rich in antioxidant, honey smooths the throat and so does ginger. A powerful Tea!

Detox Herbal Tea

Detox Herbal Tea #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com

Great when you have a hangover but also useful when you are out of energy and when you need to clean your body from inside out.

Chamomile Tea

Sleepy Tea - Orange Blossom & Chamomile #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com

Chamomile relaxes the body and stomache, makes you sleepy and it’s great when you are facing cold symptoms.

Tyrolean Jagatee

Tyrolean Jagatee - Hot spiced Black tea with Wine Schnapps & Rum #drink #recipe masalaherb.com

Warms your bones from inside out with the alcohols and spices in the beverage and the orange is rich in vitamin C.

Masala Chai

Masala Chai masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

Comforting Indian Monsoon Tea that will boost your health.

Vegetable Consommé

Vegetable Consommé with Semolina Dumplings - Grießknödel for #Sundaysupper #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com

A clear vegetable Consommé is a must when you need to gain energy but your stomach won’t take vegetable bits.

Onion Soup

French Onion Soup #stepbystep #recipe masalaherb.com

Onion detoxify the body and the Onion soup will help you clear your sinus too.

Rich Vegetable Soup

rich Vegetable Soup masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

Very rich healthy soup to gain appetite and energy again. Best when your cold is coming to an end.

Borscht Soup

Borscht Soup Austrian style masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

The meat will boost your energy levels and supply your week body with nutrients.

Kitchen Sink Chicken Soup

Chicken Soup by Aimee

A guestpost by Aimee. This souo has become my go to soup too when I am ill.

Kanji Rice (Pez)

kanji rice (pez) masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

Very useful but plain dish that originates from Goa India. Eat it when your stomach won’t  take anything else or when you are weak.

What do you cook at home when you or one of your members have a cold or the flu?

Share on Facebook16Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Google+30Pin on Pinterest20Share on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pageEmail this to someone

Louise

GREAT remedies, Helene! I do hope you’re feeling better. I have to wonder whether all those colds were started from jumping in the water though.
Louise recently posted..Happy Birthday Sliced Bread; Still Fresh at 85My Profile

mjskit

Fabulous post! I can see how these would definitely help the common cold. I’ve used the ginger honey tea before. Not sure if it cured the cold, but it sure did comfort me. Keeping this post for next time the common cold hits this house. Hope you feel better soon Darlin!
mjskit recently posted..Green Chile Powder and How To Use ItMy Profile

CCU

Hope you are feeling better my friend! Your post could not come at a better time, I have had a cold for ages which is so pesky as well :P
Great remedies!

CCU
CCU recently posted..The Sexy Vegan Kitchen #2: Sweet & Innocent Strawberry Shortcake SmoothieMy Profile

Radhika

Helene, this round up of sorts look wonderful. I have bookmarked this as our own monsoon is just around the corner. I loved the first snap very much. Amazing.
Radhika recently posted..French Apple Pie Recipe | No Bake, Make Ahead DessertsMy Profile

Françoise

Great tips! I use the lemon and ginger tea myself, and a chicken consommé to boost up the immune system.
Françoise recently posted..Pêches et poivrons en dip pour l’apéroMy Profile

I needed this post! John is sick with a cold and can barely move. I’m still fine and want to stay that way. :)
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..My First High TeaMy Profile

Vicki Bensinger

Wow you’ve really got it covered. There’s no way a cold could last long with all these homemade remedies. They all sound delicious too! Great recipes to keep on hand. Is it cold there now?

Vicki Bensinger

I wonder why the heart doesn’t work for me? I can’t remember what it’s called.
Vicki Bensinger recently posted..Rainbow SlawMy Profile

what heart Vicki?

Angie@Angie's Recipes

A wonderful selection of cold remedies, Helene.
Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Rye Spelt Bread with Beetroot and WalnutsMy Profile

Cass @foodmyfriend

Yum! I shook my cold after a few weeks. It’s so annoying! It’s the cough after that gets me down :(

I LOVE ALL OF THE PHOTO SHOOTS!! Especially the action “pouring” shot ;)

There’s nothing like food / homemade remedies to cure a cold!
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Shrimp Fried RiceMy Profile

Janie

What a great resource! Good job Helene :)
Janie x
Janie recently posted..Rabbit Satay SkewersMy Profile

Bookmarked! What a great roundup!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Summer Squash Tartines with Ricotta, Rosemary and LemonMy Profile

great recipes and much needed as my boys seem to always catch a cold. hope you feel better
Kitchen Belleicious recently posted..Tangerine Basalmic Glazed Summer Vegetable KabobsMy Profile

john@kitchenriffs

Great ideas! They all look like they’d help colds (or at least make you feel better about having one!) I’ve made tea with ginger and honey before, and it does seem to help. Good stuff – thanks.
john@kitchenriffs recently posted..Royal Bermuda Yacht Club CocktailMy Profile

Louise

Hi Helene,
Hope you’re feeling better:)
Louise recently posted..Piña Colada Day and A Taste of Puerto RicoMy Profile

The Ninja Baker

Great post, Helene!

First of all, I hope you feel better very soon.

I do believe you’ve helped many people with your comforting recipes of chai and kitchen sink soup…They’re allowed even if you’re not sick, right? =)

Fascinating too about a day celebrating St. John…Am I understanding the practice of the jumping in water – baptism – is done by those of the Catholic faith in Goa?

Ash- foodfashionparty

Rice roundup of homemade remedies and nothing like that. Oh, poor thing take care. Having kids at home, I will bookmark this page for sure. I’m always surprised at how fast home remedies help..
Thanks

Betty Ann @Mango_Queen

Even without a cold (knock on wood!) I’ll take any or all of these any fine day. The soups look delish and so do the cups of tea. Your ginger honey tea sounds a lot like our Filipino “salabat” and oh is it the best! Thanks for sharing all these helpful remedies ! Hope you had a great feast of St. John’s ! (In the Philippines, it’s fiesta de San Juan and they pour water on passing motorists!)
Betty Ann @Mango_Queen recently posted..Sauteed Shrimps and Leeks Jumbo OmeletMy Profile

Sanjeeta kk

A treasure post for anytime! Bookmarked…
Sanjeeta kk recently posted..Recipes | Three Healthy Indian Curries with Pumpkin and The Gardening ObsessionMy Profile

easyfoodsmith

That is indeed a wonderful post and very helpful.
easyfoodsmith recently posted..MASALA SPICED ROASTED BEET LASSIMy Profile

Swasthi

Hi Helene,
Loved this post. wonderful pictures and useful info.