Beef Chili Fry the Goan way

by Helene Dsouza on July 12, 2013

The Goan, Indian, Beef Chili Fry is my food lazy husband’s favorite meal and I, the foodie, love it as well. Sounds promising right? Tender, Juicy perfectly stir fried Beef undercut and some tickling green chili to enhance the onion and tomato flavor. Often the same dish here in Goa is enriched with diced Potatoes but since we prefer it without potatoes and as a side with other non meat dishes and other carbs for lunch, I kept the potato out for this time. That way you ll be able to combine the Beef Chili Fry with other side dishes such as steamed rice, chapati and different vegetable bhaji’s such as the ivy gourd stir fry (Tendli Bhaji) or the Yard Long Beans Stir Fry (Iriel Bhaji).

Beef Chili Fry the Goan way masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

This is another recipe provided by my Goan mother in law, which had been in the family for some time and of course it’s authentic. No tinkering around, I didn’t change he flavor and I followed her cooking technique exactly to the point. I had been planning to share this beef chili stir fry recipe for a couple of months but I was hindered by the annoying Beef shortage in the state. Personally I don’t know what was the exact cause for the shortage and non availability of any beef, I just know it was extremely silly. Apparently the Goan Government had set up a new border tax rule and the tiny Indian state Goa is known to  import most food products from other Indian states, so somehow this caused some suppliers to go berserk and then we were out of beef. Complete nonsense and let’s just hope this doesn’t happen again…

Beef Chili Fry the Goan way masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

I know my beef dependency might sound odd to some Vegetarian Indians, for us here it was a bit of a nightmare. We Catholics enjoy our beef meals and I am an European who is accustomed enjoying beef specialties. Every time I decided to visit the mapusa market, I ended up coming home empty handed even after receiving some reports from locals that they were lucky and had been able to buy beef. When I look back I think I was extremely unlucky but last Friday I finally had 600 grams of the last beef undercut in my hands!

Hurray! -_-

• 1 Tablespoon chopped Garlic
  • 2 small Chili
  • 1 small Tomato
  • 1 Teaspoon Chili powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
  • pinch Pepper
  1. Rinse and pat dry your beef undercut and cut into 1 cm dice. Keep in a bowl with Ginger Garlic Paste, Salt and Coconut Vinegar or White Vinegar or Lemon Juice. Mix it well and allow to marinate for minimum 20 minutes. The longer you keep it marinated the more flavor it will have at the end.Beef Chili Fry the Goan way masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb
  2. Peel and discard the peel of your onion, quarter and slice thin. Peel, smash and chop your garlic. Cut your chili small and keep the seeds (Remove the seeds if you want less heat) Half your tomato and slice thin. Keep all separate aside.
  3. Grab a cooking pot and add your marinated beef. Cook on slow heat without oil so that all the liquid come out (the beef is full of liquids!). That might take about 15-20 minutes and when most of the liquid is dissolved, stir fry so that the beef get's perfectly cooked. This should help the beef to remain tender as well.Beef Chili Fry the Goan way masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb
  4. On another hot plate prepare a frying pan with the oil and fry your onions first translucent. Afterwards add the garlic, chili and tomato pieces and stir fry for 1-2 minutes before you throw in the Chili, Turmeric powder and the Pepper. Mix and stir fry on a slow to medium flame until all ingredients are soft but not over cooked.Beef Chili Fry the Goan way masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb Beef Chili Fry the Goan way masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb
  5. At this point you can add your precooked Beef cubes and stir fry the whole content for another 1-2 minutes or until you feel it has cooked enough. The dish should not end up to dry, nor should it soak in lots of oil. Beef Chili Fry the Goan way masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb
  6. Serve hot with Goan Rice (or other rice of your choice) or chapati and bhajis such as Tendli bhaji or Iriel bhaji and enjoy.

Beef Chili Fry the Goan way masalaherb.com #stepbystep #recipe @masalaherb

Share on Facebook13Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest7Share on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pageEmail this to someone

I am Helene, the author behind Masala Herb! My aim is to show you an incredible world full of surprises. Food, Culture and Travel are my forte and that's what I enjoy. Follow my Food and Travel adventures and learn some incredible things!Now in the beautifull Indian coastline state, Goa.

Sandra | Sandra's Easy Cooking

This does look delicious, Helene! Great recipe and I can imagine that it’s packed with flavor. Thank you for sharing and have a lovely weekend!
Sandra | Sandra’s Easy Cooking recently posted..Grilled Glazed Wild Salmon with Mango SalsaMy Profile

Ash- foodfashionparty

Glad you go your hands on some good cut of meat.
This is such a tasty looking dish, and I’m not a beef lover myself so I would substitute this with chicken…but this one is a winning recipe..

Janie

Helene, that looks delish! I read through the ingredients thinks it was going to lots of spice & things I didn’t have and was surprised how simple it looks!
Next time I get some beef I’m going to give this a whirl
Janie x
Janie recently posted..Kale, Red Onion and Spinach with ScallopsMy Profile

Chitz

Perfectly done.. Looks very inviting :) Drool !!
Chitz recently posted..Thenga Aracha Meen Curry | Malabar Style Meen Curry | Easy Kerala Style Fish CurryMy Profile

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes

I´m glad you got your hands on some beef Helene, I would feel the same way you did. I like that you shared a family recipe, and a simple spicy beef one. The kind of meal I make for myself all the time! I also pinned the chapati recipe, love it!
Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes recently posted..Orange Caramel Bourbon Bundt Cake #BundtaMonthMy Profile

Eha

I am so glad you have published a Goan recipe again and shall try it soonest. Have not used chillis two ways nor coconut vinegar which actually is available here Down Under. So thank you for a meal soon ahead and do post some more local recipes please!

Sounds so richly flavored! I can see why it’s a favorite.

I’m jealous you learn authentic cooking from your MIL. I wish I could learn Chinese/Taiwanese food from my MIL but we only see each other one week or at most 2 weeks and we rarely spend time cooking together. This looks delicious!
Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Arugula SaladMy Profile

john@kitchenriffs

Such a pain to not be able to get basic ingredients! Glad you finally scored some beef, though. Terrific looking dish – loads of flavor, and so easy to make! Perfect for me, when I want to me lazy. ;-)
john@kitchenriffs recently posted..Summer White Bean and Quinoa SaladMy Profile

I’m sure it’s the perfect snack with a mug of beer!
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Snow Chrysanthemums & Honey Suckle Iced “Tea”My Profile

Minnie@thelady8home

What a delightful recipe!~! I don’t eat beef, but hubby loves it. maybe I will surprise him one day :)
Minnie@thelady8home recently posted..The Top Ten plus Bengali Aloo DumMy Profile

mjskit

A beef shortage – that is such a foreign concept to me. I be that was quite frustrating. Glad it’s over. I wouldn’t have wanted to miss this delicious chili fry! I have some ginger garlic paste that needs a dish and this dish sounds perfect – a very quick and easy weekday meal!
mjskit recently posted..Smoky Polenta with Aged CheddarMy Profile

Sissi

Helene, it might be the first Goan recipe I will prepare! I am seriously motivated, especially since it’s a genuine recipe from your family. My husband will be delighted (I don’t cook enough beef dishes for him… because I am rather a chicken and pork eater ;-) ). I had no idea coconut vinegar existed! It sounds awesome!
I can understand very well your frustration. I sometimes read blogs by pork-loving expats living several years in countries where pork is totally absent and this would kill me I think.
Sissi recently posted..Easiest Apricot Cake Without EggsMy Profile

Charles

Mm, I can tell by the colour that this is just packed with flavour – sometimes it’s important to stick to authentic tried and tested methods isn’t it? I find it really annoying when people completely refuse to try “traditional” recipes first and insist on doctoring everything.

Laurence

Just what is beef undercut?

Beef undercut is also known as Tenderloin or Fillet. It’s the most valued meat part of the animal and the most tender one as well. See here for a reference picture. Hope that helps, Laurence.

Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

Oh, no, politics interfering with food is not good. I am so gonna pass this recipe on to the OH. He loves all things chilli and all things stirfry.
Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry recently posted..Almond, Cardamom and Courgette SoupMy Profile

I wondered how difficult it was to buy beef in a largely vegetarian society. We don’t have such difficulties here and I’ll be making this beef chili fry soon.
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Pork Tenderloin with Apple and Onion MarmaladeMy Profile

jason

It was easy to cook and very simple. As there shortage of fish in the market it is good to eat beef chili fry.

I agree that’s the best time to enjoy beef chili fry. =D Glad you had the chance to try the recipe Jason and I am happy to hear about your success.

Mrs. Esmy Pinto

excellent recipe really enjoyed it.

Thank you so much for your feedback! Happy to hear that you enjoy the recipe as much as we do. :-)