Quiche and Tarts are my discipline and I love making them from scratch. Savory or sweet it doesn’t matter, they are all fantastic! This typical french dish represents comfort and a warm home and it reminds me always of my loving childhood. Therefore my choice for the Valentine #Sundaysupper theme had to be a quiche! I came up with the Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche, its not a traditional recipe from my mother, in fact I made it for my darling. He has discovered quiche for his own in the last months, especially the spicy Indian fusion style quiches and we managed to incorporate more veggie in our diet this way, which is great!
The red Cabbage is anything but a common vegetable in the Indian Subcontinent, in fact it has been only introduced to Goa some 2-3 years ago. We Europeans always miss our vegetables from the north so we end up requesting for special things such as Broccoli and Brussels Sprouts for example and the vendors do note that. Over time new things come up and we always get super excited, but unfortunately non of those veggies is organic and I even believe the veggies are GMOs. GMOs are banned in my countries, Austria and France…
Back in July I had brought back some seeds from Europe to Goa, including red cabbage seeds. That was in the rainy season and they did grow first but the high amount of humidity in the air turned the plants to mold (I am not joking!). I am still trying to grow them but it looks like the sun is too strong, so I am still digging in new seed batches without success. If you have any tips on how to grow Red Cabbage in the Asian tropics, I dearly need some!
So for now I am stuck with the GMO cabbage, I can’t help it, the red cabbage is one of my favorite veggies. It’s so pretty too, just look at those red white patterns! The red Cabbage has a light fermented flavor which I adore and it is a veggie that is commonly used in the Austrian/Bavarian cuisine. This time however you will be enjoying it in a french short crust with Indian spice mixtures such as Garam masala and of course Turmeric powder. I know, that’s one hell of a melting pot! Welcome to my world!
More Savory Quiche & Tart:
Sweet Tart collection:
- 200 grams White Flour
- 100 grams Butter + some extra for greasing the molds
- pinch Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 medium Onion
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 200 grams Red Cabbage
- dash Red Wine Vinegar
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 100 milliliter Cream
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- pinch Garam Masala
- Start by making your short crust dough. That's an easy dough! Just place the flour and pinch of salt on a working space or bowl, add the soft butter into cut cubes and rub it into the flour with your fingers. Then reassemble the dough by adding the water. Work it out with your hands to a smooth dough until the dough stops sticking. Keep in the fridge for 30 min. to cool and to get a bit hard.
- In the mean time take care of the quiche filling. Slice your onion, chop your Garlic and slice your cabbage fine and small.
- Heat up a frying pan with some oil and fry first the onion for a minute on a low heat, then add the garlic and Red cabbage. Stir fry for a few minutes or until the water has come out of the red cabbage and the veggie got a bit soft. Pour in the Red Vine Vinegar and remove the pan from the heat. Add a pinch of Salt and Pepper, mix it all well and allow it to cool.
- Take out your dough from the fridge and roll it 3 millimeters out. If you are using a big quiche mold, place the tart mold first over the dough and cut out by adding 2 cm radius, then place the mold over some butter paper and do cut out the paper in a radius with the same distance. If you are using small mini molds then do the same but add around 1 cm distance while cutting out.
- Butter the Tart form and place the cut out dough carefully into the form. Fit it well in as shown!
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.!
- Poke with a fork randomly into the dough in the form. That will prevent the crust to deform while baking. Place on top of the dough the cut out baking paper and add a weight inside such as beans or lentils.
- Bake the dough for 12 mins alone!
- In the meanwhile mix the Egg, Cream, Turmeric Powder and Garam Masala in a bowl.
- Once the crust is baked, fill it with the Red Cabbage mixture. I arranged it to a heart. =) Pour the Egg mixture on top and into the sides where there are no veggies.
- Pop the quiche(s) into the oven. Bake the small mini quiche for 25 minutes the big quiche for 35-40 minutes.
- Best served hot with a green Salad!
This weeks exciting #Sundaysupper Valentine’s Menu!
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Fried Heart Pizza from Mooshu Jenne
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni’s Food
- Individual Beef “Phyll-ingtons” from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Cherry Pie Hearts from Home Cooking Memories
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Baileys Banana Cream Sauce from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Truffles from The Wimpy Vetegarian
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- Deliciously Baked & Festively Glazed Mini-Donuts from Mangoes and Chutney
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita’s Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from She Likes Ruffles, He Likes Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Fudge from What Smells So Good?
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear’s Wife
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:
- Blood Orange Vodka Martinis from The Catholic Foodie
- Bloody Raspberry Cocktail from My Cute Bride
- Strawberry Gin Fizz from girlichef
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Tablescape: A Romantic Table For Two Please from An Appealing Plan
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Ajanta Caves – The Lost World – Breathtaking Ancient Indian Paintings & Sculptures - May 27, 2017
- Road Trip Goa to Himachal, Manali – Travel Route planning Guide Checklist for Adventure trip to Himalayas India - May 25, 2017
- 21 Food & Drink Ideas to beat the Steaming Hot Summer in India - May 13, 2017