Harissa, Harissa…. Finally I got the chance to make my own! Rich in Tomatoes and stuffed with spices that is the all famous Harissa paste from the North African countries. Although, it is also widely known and enjoyed in the Middle Eastern countries as well as in France for example. This time I wasn’t inspired by an old food memory or by a friend calling Harissa a staple food in her house. No, this week I got the idea to post my own Harissa through another power. Number one, I joined the #Sundaysupper movement and Number two, which was fitting well because I had added Susan’s (The Wimpy Vegetarian) Harissa recipe to my “Recipe box” a while back, the #Sundaysupper theme is “Happy Birthday #Sundaysupper” today and for that occasion we were to share another #sundaysupper contributor’s recipe that had been posted in the past year. Ha!
Susana’s Harissa was easy and clear to follow, except I had to figure out the pounds into kg conversion. I hadn’t done that before. Pounds is easy but I don’t know what one quart of water equals to. I exchanged a couple of ingredients from the original recipe with local Goan ingredients. That includes the Chilis and Vinegar. I decided at the end to add in some Garlic as well, since I had heard that it is a typical Harissa ingredient and I am a massive Garlic lover. Plus I really had to add much more water then mentioned in the recipe, and the paste was still very thick. Well, that’s it after all! The recipe wasn’t changed much, I thoroughly enjoyed making my own home made Harissa and it was very yum as a pasta sauce, BUT I have to warn you that my version is very very hot and spicy. The hot red paste was after my husband’s taste and you know how much I complain that he is so difficult with food! Thank you Susana for the great Recipe share!
The #sundaysupper movement was initiated by Family Foodie, to bring back Sunday Supper around the family table. Some very talented food bloggers share every Sunday their weekly food dishes with the world. Each week, we as bloggers get the chance to participate in the weekly theme and share our recipes on our blogs. You can participate in the live chat every Sunday in Twitter at 7 pm EST. We will share tips and answer your questions in this period!
- 450 grams, 2-4 big Tomatoes
- 2 large carrots
- Olive oil
- 8 dried Kashmiri Chilies
- 3 dried Piri Piri Chili
- 1½ Teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1½ Teaspoon Caraway seeds
- 3 over ripe red "Green" Chillies
- 3 clove Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Vinegar
- 1½ Tablespoons Olive oil
- 200 milliliter Water
- Preheat the oven to 150 Celcius.
- Half or Quarter your Tomatoes (depending on the size) and place them onto a baking tray as shown. Sprinkle some Olive Oil and Salt on top and dry bake the tomatoes for about 90 minutes, until they are dry and nicely roasted.
- Peel and half your Carrots lengthwise. Place them on a baking tray too and sprinkle Olive Oil and Salt on top. Dry bake them at 160 Celcius for 15 minutes first, then turn them and dry bake them for another 15 minutes.
- Heat up a pan with water, boil the water and turn the heat off. Place the Kashmiri & Piri Piri chillies into the water and cover the pot. Leave them to soak for about 1 hour.
- In a pestle combine the Coriander seeds and Caraway seeds and smash them to a coarse powder.
- In a mixer jar add the roasted Tomatoes and Carrots, Kashmiri & Piri Piri Chilli, the Coriander and Caraway powder, the ripe red "Green"Chillies, some Salt, the 2 whole clove Garlic, the Coconut Vinegar, the Olive Oil and around 200 mililiter water. Mix it all to a very smooth paste!
- Store the Harissa in a jar covered with Olive Oil on top and keep in a cool dry place. Harissa can be stored like that for a few weeks.
You can serve Harissa with Couscous, Vegetables, Rice, Pasta and Falafel. In fact there are countless ways to enjoy a rich Tomato Harissa!
How do you like your Harissa paste? With what would you serve it?
This week’s #Sundaysupper Recipe bounty
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspired by The Meltaways
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- (GlutenFree) Chicken Bruschetta by The Meltaways inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Beef Stroganoff by What Smells So Good? inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken by Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
- Mac n Cheese Cups with Pork Shoulder Ragu by Crispy Pieces and Burnt Ends inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro & Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Carrot Parsnip Lentil Casserole by Sustainable Dad inspired by Happy Baking Days
SundaySupper Desserts and Snacks:
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Foodie Army Wife inspired by Fam Friends Food
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Coconut Cranberry Honey Nut Cookies by Mama’s Blissful Bites inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In the Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- 30 Minutes Pan-Fried Salmon in White Wine Sauce with Tagliatelle Pasta Recipe - March 28, 2017
- Fragrant Rice Recipe with Clove – Easy Aromatic Rice Side Dish – How to make fragrant rice - March 24, 2017
- Simple Caprese Salad – Italian Tomato Mozzarella Basil Olive Oil Insalate – How to make Caprese Salad - March 23, 2017