Lentils are full of healthy benefits, easy to cook and a tasty way to enrich your daily meal plan. I will show you today how to make a simple delicious brown lentil pot with sausage.
- 400 grams Brown lentil
- 1-2 Frankfurter (or any other) per Person
- 1-2 strips bacon – cut in small stripes or add it as whole pcs
- 2 small Onion – peeled, cut in slices
- 2-3 Garlic pods – peeled, crushed
- 2 Tomatoes – cut in 1 inch small cubes
- 1 big Carrot – peeled cut in small thin strips
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- little nutmeg scraped
- few Pepper balls
- pinch Salt
- pinch Savory Herb dried – optional
- pinch Herb de Provence mix – optional
- Garnish with fresh Parsley
- The night before, keep your lentils to soak in some water so that they get soaked.
- The next day, cut and prepare Onion, Garlic, Tomatoes, carrot and bacon. The bacon is mostly for the flavor.
- In a pot, add cooking oil and fry the onion and garlic for 3 min, on medium heat until translucent.
- Add the sausages and bacon and see that nothing burns on.
- Stir in the cut tomatoes and carrot, and the soaked lentils. Add around ½ – 1 cup of water to the pot, which will dissolve in time while cooking. Don’t add too much right at the beginning. You can always add in between water if it is too dry, but if you add too much from the beginning, you might end up with unwanted liquid when it is already cooked.
- Season the pot with salt, pepper balls, bay leaf, scraped nutmeg, Thyme, and Herb de Provence mix and cook it on medium/high heat for 30 min, while checking the water level and stirring every 10 min. Let it cook a bit longer if the lentils are not soft yet.
- Voila, ready to serve and to enjoy! Garnish with Parsley
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Homemade Coconut Milk – How to make Coconut milk from scratch - December 3, 2013
- Christmas Cookie Collection 2013 - November 29, 2013
- Mushroom and Pea Pulao - November 24, 2013